About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Cookbook Review: Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food

Deceive your kids by sneaking extra fruits or veggies into their food.

That's the concept of Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food. Author Jessica Seinfeld (who, so far as I'm aware is no relation to Jerry) started her deception because her family members wouldn't eat their vegetables and found them "'disgusting.'" She started with an idea of blending in pureed vegetables (butternut squash into mac and cheese for her first attempt) and it took of from there.

Seinfeld says, "This book is nothing more than one mom's coping skills." I can relate to that; my ex-husband liked very few vegetables and I often resorted to sneaking extra, finely-chopped veggies into chili, sloppy joes and other tomato-sauced based things or casseroles and mostly got away with it.

The details of this book include how to make and freeze your purees ahead of time for easy use as well as a host of recipes kids typically would eat (I plan to try the French Toast receipe that includes your choice pureed banana, pineapple, sweet potato, squash or pumpkin). Cauliflower and sweet potato puree are disguised in lasagna in another recipe. Seinfield also features a recipe for baked doughnuts that incorporates an entire cup of mixed pumpkin and sweet potato puree.

While the overall ingredients are clearly healthier options, the one down side of the cookbook is that it doesn't include nutritional information such as fat grams, fiber, etc.

So far, the best thing about this book is that I paid about half of the sale price at a regular shop for it at my local resale shop. I'll keep you posted as to whether or not this is a keeper soon, after I've made a couple of recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment