About Me

My photo
My friends call me the "grammar goddess." Really. ;-) I own a freelance writing, editing and tutoring business. Previously, I served three years as food editor for The Morning Sun in Mt. Pleasant, which kindled my interest in food writing. My other areas of expertise in writing include features, community news, architecture/construction and engraving/personalization. I have a frightening number of cookbooks and watch too many DIY, HGTV, Food Network, Cooking Channel and Antiques Roadshow (BBC and PBS versions) shows. And I tweak nearly every recipe I make.

Thursday, June 3, 2010

Product Review: FIT KIDS Instant Oatmeal Cinnamon Toast & Chocolate Chip

Great-tasting, organic food. Do you hear that combination mentioned often?

I don't, but it precisely describes my favorite organic oatmeal: FIT KIDS Instant Oatmeal, made by Country Choice Organic. Being made for kids, it has to taste good.

I've tried Chocolate Chip and Cinnamon Toast, which come in a combined pack. The chocolate chip tastes like a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie fresh from the oven; the cinnamon toast smells just like Gram LaBerge's cinnamon rolls. (Cinnabon can't even come close to those, by the way. Sadly, she didn't measure precisely, so I have yet to replicate them.)

Below are nutrition facts for Chocolate Chip; as you can see, the vital statistics aren't too bad, although the carbs are a bit higher than regular sweetened oatmeal, such as Quaker Oats. On the up side, it doesn't have artificial sweeteners or ingredients.

Serving Size 1 packet (37.0 g)
Amount Per Serving
Calories 150
Calories from Fat 23
Total Fat 2.5g
Saturated Fat 1.0g
Sodium 100mg
Total Carbohydrates 28.0g
Dietary Fiber 3.0
Sugars 13.0g
Protein 4.0g

No comments:

Post a Comment